How to Adopt
Adoption Process for NEW Adopters:
- Fill out and submit our online Adoption Application.
- Please only submit ONE Adoption Application. (Our Application is for general pre-approval, not for a specific adoptable animal).
- Once received, Humane Fort Wayne will review your application. Applications are reviewed in the order they are received.
- We will contact you to let you know your Adoption Status and schedule an Adoption Appointment. Applications may take up to 1-2 days to process. Please give us a call at the shelter at 260-744-0454 if you have not heard back from us within 48 hours.
- If you haven’t found your perfect match at the shelter, that’s okay too – pre-approved applications are valid for 6 months!
Adoption Process for Pre-Approved Adopters:
- If you have a Pre-Approved Adoption Application on file with Humane Fort Wayne and want to adopt a dog, give us a call at the shelter to schedule your Adoption Appointment at 260-744-0454 during our business hours. All family members must be present at canine adoption appointments. If you are interested in adopting a cat or kitten and you are Pre-Approved, you can just stop by the shelter during our business hours to adopt! Our hours are: Tuesday-Friday 11 am–6 pm, & Saturday–Sunday 11 am–4 pm.
- We ask that you do not leave a message to schedule an appointment. If you have to call us after hours, please leave a message at extension 207.
- Have you just submitted an Adoption Application? Thank you! We are reviewing your application. We will contact you within 48 hours with the status of your application. If you have not heard from us within 48 hours, please call in to the shelter at 260-744-0454.
- Not sure of the status of your application, or have other questions? Please EMAIL the shelter at email@example.com with your message. Thank you!
*Adoption Appointments are limited and will be scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Thank you!
Before you adopt an animal, please read our Adoption FAQ’s, where you’ll find information on the process, fees and more.