How to Adopt
Adoption Process for NEW Adopters:
- Fill out and submit our online Adoption Application.
- Please only submit ONE Adoption Application. (Our Application is for general pre-approval, not for a specific adoptable animal).
- Once received, Humane Fort Wayne will review your application. Applications are reviewed in the order they are received.
- We will contact you to let you know your adoption status. Once you are approved you can visit the shelter during regular business hours to see the adoptables! To check on your application status, please call the Shelter at 260-744-0454 or email [email protected].
- If you haven’t found your perfect match at the shelter, that’s okay too – pre-approved applications are valid for 6 months!
Adoption Process for Pre-Approved Adopters:
- If you have a Pre-Approved Adoption Application on file with Humane Fort Wayne and want to adopt, you can visit the Shelter during our regular business hours.
- All family members must be present at canine adoption appointments. Our hours are: Tuesday-Friday 11 am–6 pm, & Saturday–Sunday 11 am–4 pm.
- Have you just submitted an Adoption Application? Thank you! We are reviewing your application. We will contact you to let you know your adoption status. Once you are approved, you can visit the shelter during regular business hours. To check on your application status, please call the shelter at 260-744-0454 or email [email protected].
- What to bring: Proof of a current rabies vaccine for all pets living in the home. In some cases, we may require you to bring all family members and/or dogs in the home to meet with the adoptables. Bring, or be prepared to purchase, a leash and collar to take your new dog or puppy home, or a suitable carrier to take your new cat or kitten home. Unfortunately, animals cannot be held for you.
Before you adopt an animal, please read our Adoption FAQ’s, where you’ll find information on the process, fees and more.