In partnership with Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control, our Working Cats Program gives a second chance to outdoor cats and cats who would otherwise be deemed unadoptable. This program is designed to give homes to cats who want to live outside.
Working cats live in barns or other secure structures, and they do so at the benefit of their caretakers! Working cats control the rodent population in barns, removing the need for poisons that are dangerous for children and pets. We don’t always have working cats available, but we maintain a waiting list for those interested!
Cats in our Working Cats program are:
- Cats whose litter box habits are not consistent enough to be indoor cats and/or have spent time outside per their previous owner,
- Cats found as strays and may be too independent to appreciate living indoors, or
- Cats who are shy/fearful of people and prefer the company of other cats/animals.
Important notes about the Working Cats program:
- Cats who are best suited to be house pets will not be considered to be working cats.
- Kittens under four months of age will not be considered to be working cats.
- A minimum of two working cats must be placed at the same location at the same time.